We get a ton of great questions everyday, and appreciate the opportunity to do our part in educating people on the topic of body art. Let us know what you’re thinking so we can add yours to the list! Here’s some of the questions that we get asked most often;
We don’t really follow any strict hours for the studio. “By appointment only” means that we will be in as required when there are tattoos booked for those days. We keep times available for walk- ins and pride ourselves on going above and beyond for our clients. Need a booking outside of our normal hours? Give us a call and let’s make it happen!
Normal business hours at fallen Heroes Tattoo // Art
Mondays to Fridays, 10am – 7pm
Saturdays – 10am – 7pm
Sundays – by appointment only
Consultations are free of charge and usually last no longer than 30 minutes
This is a dedicated space for you and the artist to brainstorm your ideas – so bring along references and inspiration! Here we can also see how long the tattoo will take and give you an estimated costing.
We then make a booking for you with the artist and charge a minimum $100 deposit to secure your booking, and to get the design process underway. This deposit will be deducted off the final cost of your tattoo. In essence, if you get the tattoo done with us – your design is free. If however, you change your mind about what you want to get done – a design fee will apply, and will be deducted off your deposit refund.
A deposit must be paid within 7 days of making your booking or your booking will automatically be released.
If you fail to postpone or cancel your appointment within 48 hours of your booking, you will unfortunately forfeit your deposit. (We cannot find replacement bookings at such short notice, and this leaves the artist unable to earn a living on that day…)
The artist will then design a line drawing or mock up and send this to you by email for approval, or changes.
A line drawings or mock up is a ROUGH layout of the idea or composition of your tattoo.We usually offer 2 rounds of changes on the design. Designs are usually done a week prior to your tattoo, giving you and the artist time to make changes if need be
If you change your mind and want something else designed – a new deposit will apply
And last, but not least – ENJOY!
Everyone has their own little After Care speech and each person’s skin is different – this is our recommended aftercare regimen:
Immediate After Care Instructions:
1. Remove the Tegaderm from your tattoo 24 hours after getting tattooed. Tegaderm is sticky stuff! Best to remove it in the shower under some warm, soapy water.
2. Wash your hands with Antibacterial Soap
3. The first time you wash your tattoo with an antibacterial soap, you will see that a layer of gooey plasma may have accumulated under the cling wrap – this is normal. Wash off all this gooey substance with your hand (DO NOT use a cloth or exfoliator)
4. Let the tattoo to AIR DRY for about 15 minutes
5. Apply the second set of Tegaderm that you purchased at Fallen Heroes just as the artist prescribed
6. The second application of Tegaderm should remain on the tattoo for 3 days. Tegaderm will withstand regular showers and activities. When it’s time to remove the tegaderm, slowly work it away from the tattoo in a warm shower
7. Again wash the tattoo with antibacterial soap and allow to air dry or pat it dry with a clean towel
8. Apply a THIN layer of Curelle unscented lotion (Aveeno unscented is also acceptable) and ensure that is absorbed into the skin allowing it to breathe. Note: By thin layer, we mean that your ink should appear brilliant, and not hazed over with a thick layer of lotion
9. Repeat this procedure 2 times a day for the next 3-4 days
Note: Always remember to wash your hands before and after washing your tattoo
Note: DO NOT share after care products with anyone. Cross contamination can cause infection and spread disease
General Tattoo Care
1. Keep moisturized and use SPF when going into the sun
2. DO NOT use SPF while the tattoo is still healing – just keep the tattoo out of the sun
3. It is ok to take a bath or shower whilst healing – but DO NOT soak your tattoo in water
4. It is advisable NOT to do any sports/ strenuous activity the day after your tattoo
5. Make sure to give your tattoo a good wash after any exercise during the healing process
Fallen Heroes charges $120 per hour, with a minimum charge for a tattoo being $60. Single sessions of 6 or more hours will receive a 10% discount (cannot be added to any other special offers or discounts).
A deposit of $100 will be required prior to booking for all tattoos estimated at longer than 1 hour. Small tattoo deposits (tattoo’s requiring one hour or less) will be 50% at time of booking.
First and foremost, don’t drink any alcohol the night before.
Alcohol thins the blood – heavy bleeding makes it harder for the artist to work, harder for the ink to stay in, and harder for you to heal. Try your best to stay away from any unnecessary medication that thins the blood before your session (unless of course you have a medical condition).
Secondly, eat a good meal beforehand.
Your body burns fuel whilst being tattooed – not eating can result in dizziness and a lot more discomfort than usual. During long sessions typically both artist and client will break for lunch to replenish the reserves.
Otherwise, come relaxed! Some people like to have something to read, or even some music to listen to.
The rest you can leave to us.
Your tattoo will generally take about 2 months to heal up completely, but within 4 days (and following the proper aftercare procedures) your tattoo will be healed adequately for exposure and contact.
If in this time the colour seems DULL – it may just be because a thin layer of skin will form over the tattoo until it is 100% healed – making the colors appear lighter than they should. If after 2 months this is still the case – you may require a touch up.
Come by and let us have a look – something that looks suspect to you may very well be quite normal – like minor scabbing. If you follow the after care regime you should not scab too much though – so if you think your scabs are too thick – come by so we can have a look and advise
ITCHING is normal – DON’T scratch!
We offer one round of free touch ups for your tattoo – should your tattoo require it. You have 6 months from the date of your tattoo for your touch up – so make sure you book well in advance.
You DO however, need to wait at least 1 month for the tattoo to settle, before you will know whether you need a touch up. If you are not sure then – you are more than welcome to pop in so we can have a look.
No free touch ups will be done on hand and feet tattoos. These kinds of tattoos are notorious for the ink pulling out, and sadly there are no guarantees that these will last.
A non-refundable deposit is required at the time of booking to commence design and to secure your spot.
The deposit will be deducted from the final cost of your tattoo.
The design sent to you is not an accurate representation of the final product, it is usually a line drawing or referenced composition to create a rough idea of what the tattoo will look like.
Non-refundable means – if you decide you do not want the tattoo anymore – the cost of the deposit will cover the time the artist spent on your design. This term also applies when you change your mind about the whole concept and your artist has to draw up a completely new design.
No children under the age of 12 are allowed in the establishment – this is for their own safety. Children (with parental consent) aged 16-18 with valid identification and parental (in person) consent, may be tattooed and anyone 18 years of age and beyond can sign their own waiver for service.
Only one friend is allowed to accompany the client at any given time. The artist needs to focus and give the client his best work.
All original design work remains the property of the artist.